Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thing 12

Twitter. I have been on twitter one other time. It was interesting but I really don’t care to be a part of it. I really don’t have time to keep up with one more thing. I do well to answer all my email and do the other things I have started. I will text friends if need be instead of calling. Texting is easier to me than twittering. Maybe I don’t know tons about it, but I had never heard of hashtags before. That is interesting in that you can search for a subject using this method. … something to remember……I have heard the traffic girl on ABC saying she has a twitter, so maybe up to date traffic could be a plus. I will have to check this out more. TO TWITTER OR NOT TO TWITTER…and afater I wrote this post, I read an example of how to use Twitter in education. One high school class was reading Dant'e Inferno and had to use Twitter to describe each phase of hell from his view point. With Twitter only allowing 140 characters, each word counts! So, this is an interesting application of Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. My husband says it's all about who you follow. I'm not going to follow people who just post things like 'had a bagel for breakfast' I do follow School Library Journal, OCLC and galecengage and several librarians I know. I got word of limited time free resources GaleCengage was offering for swine flu and environmental resources for some event (including ebooks). I was able to post a search widgit on our library services page. You did have to be a current customer, but it gave us access to resources that are not part of our subscription.
    I have set up a twitter account for Denton ISD Libraries and have a Widget on our District Library Website. I post district library news, links to good online resources, public library events, quotes etc. It is http://twitter.com/dentonisdlib. Since the widget displays the posts, people can see the posts there without having to follow or go to Twitter. I use Tweetlater to schedule posts.

    ReplyDelete